Becoming Jewish










This week is one of those times where things are very much the same, and yet everything is different somehow.  My emotions have been intense and relatively unrelenting. And while I did everything I could do to prepare myself, I was not prepared for how this experience would make me feel. 



Choosing to convert to Judaism doesn’t seem strange, or out of the realm of typical, for someone like me...I married a Jewish man, I am raising Jewish kids, we are living a Jewish life...

In fact many people thought I was Jewish...

“Wait, what do you mean convert?  I thought you already were!”

For many reasons, however, I decided almost 2 years ago that I want to BE Jewish not just act it. I’m not going to go into the specifics of why, but just know that this is something that I wanted for me, and it was a very introspective and personal process. 



I honestly thought I was born without the DNA that allows a person to be spiritual. Turns out I had it all along, I just needed to find the right time and place to allow for it in my life. I’m grateful to the Reform Jewish community for welcoming me with gigantic wide open arms, and to Congregation Rodeph Shalom for making me feel included for the past 12 years, and for the support they have provided our family at various stops along the way. 

Tuesday October 17 was the actual day I converted.

 I sat in front of a beit din on Tuesday morning and discussed everything about why I was converting, what I know about Judaism, and how I plan to live a Jewish life. I’ll likely never feel those same emotions again, and I still don’t have the words to appropriately explain what that experience was like.  I went to bed Tuesday night completely emotionally exhausted. And the intensity of it all only confirmed for me that this was right and that this was meaningful. Like Rabbi Freedman said to me that morning, “feeling the way you do means it matters. It’s a good thing.”

I then went to the Mikveh (the same one we took our boys to) and made it official by submerging 3 times. 



At the Mikveh on Tuesday with Rabbi Freedman (my mentor through this process)


Little Aaron at the Mikveh in 2011 with Rabbi Maderer


Itty bitty Charlie at the Mikveh in 2006


The process continued last night when I was called to the Bimah during the Shabbat service. I was given my Jewish name and blessed by Rabbi Maderer (the first Rabbi we spoke to when we were looking for a synagogue to join in early 2005). My family, and family friends, came to experience this with me and everything about it was once again overwhelmingly emotional. 


Cantor Frankel (who sat on my beit din), myself, and Rabbi Maderer last night

And then family and friends went to celebrate at a delicious restaurant. 








I am, once again, SO grateful for the love and support of my family through this. My husband and kids are so excited for me, as is everyone else who was there to celebrate. Although this has been an extremely personal and self-serving decision, the support is overwhelming and heartwarming and something I very much appreciate.

Although there’s more to say, I’ll save it for another day. Thank you for reading and caring and for your support!



שִׁפְרָה

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful