Baby steps...



Today I was discharged from physical therapy. Less than 2 weeks from surgery #1, a little over 11 weeks until surgery #2.  Marty is my PT guy, and I really like him. He explains the why and how and what to me, rather than just telling me to do x,y, and z exercises. He's going to be with me for the next surgery too. I already gave him the post-op protocol for the big surgery so he has some sense of what's involved (I'm a bit of a proactive planner type of person). He's  excited to see me eventually rehab to pain free and fully functioning. 

I've been walking a lot and getting to the Y when I can for weights and time on the stationary bike. I don't like it. I actually hate it a little. It's hard to make myself go. This has never been my activity of choice (anything gym bound), but after my workout yesterday I actually have muscle soreness today. That tells me I'm challenging my muscles, not just working on the bad knee joint.  I always liked the general muscle soreness you felt after a particularly hard workout...not that anything I'm doing is hard. My muscles are pretty confused at this point. I can't get in the water for another 2 weeks (surgery site needs more healing)but once I can I'll be all over it! Water running feels silly but is the only running I'll get from here on out. 

I had a physical therapist tell me (during my ACL rehab 7 years ago) not to call the surgical knee my "bad knee."  There was a thought that it has some subliminal messaging that makes it never feel as good as it can because it's "bad." So I started calling my left knee my "fixed knee."  

Fast forward seven years and it is my bad knee again. I actually refer to it as my fucked-up knee. Probably not the best thing psychologically, but I'll likely never call it "fixed" again, that's for sure!

Moving forward now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful