The incredible people you meet...

One of the many things that running gave me was a community of people who were unlike any other group of people in my life.  These people, who are more different than alike, became a source of support and encouragement and purpose over the past few years.  As the Philadelphia Running Social Media scene took off, I found myself interacting with people from all walks of life with varied ages and religions and backgrounds and careers and personalities and desires...all with the one common interest of running.  I was delighted by the support and encouragement I received, and happily shared that support to others along the way.  Little by little I met many of these people during group runs, at races, or in "real life" when neither of us were doing anything related to running...at the grocery store, at work, at synagogue, in the school yard.  These people understood my relationship with running in a way that many never will, and have solidified a place in my life for that very reason. 

One aspect of NOT RUNNING anymore that saddened me the most is the idea that I would lose such a huge part of my social circle, my support, my purpose as a fellow runner, when I am no longer part of group runs and races.  There are many people who I will remain just as close with outside of running life.  There are those who I will literally never forget based on the number of hours we spent grueling it out in 50 mile races, the countless mornings we spent logging miles before the sun came up while having deep therapy-like conversations, the people who cheered their hardest for me when I needed it most, those who encouraged me to go for the PR every time I raced a 5K because they knew I could do it, those who wanted to run with me so they could become a better runner, and those who let me run with them so I could become a better runner.  So many amazing people, I can't imagine a better way to have spent those hours over the past few years.

When I decided to stop running, I think a lot of people didn't really understand that I meant FOR GOOD.  As in no more running ever.  A lot of people, well-meaningly, tried to encourage me to rehab and get back out there.  But after hearing my reasoning and the long term implications for me running-vs-not running, I had unanimous, overwhelming, unbelievable support and understanding.

The Sunday before my first surgery, I had a group of 20+ runners show up at my house and run a 7 mile route with me.  Some of these runners I had never met outside of social media.  But they came and ran and drank with me afterwards, and I don't know that I've been that touched before.  It was impossible to be sad among so much support.  Running gave me a lot, but the most important thing it gave me is a great sense of community among so many fantastic individuals.  I realized that I don't have to say goodbye to the running community.  I can be the annoyingly enthusiastic volunteer at all of the great local races, and give back a fraction of the support that I've received so far!  And that is something I am really looking forward to!




I'm a lucky lady to have so many great people in her corner!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful