One Week Post-op

Alright, one week down.

It’s been worlds easier than my last surgery. 
Less pain by 1,000%...
Better mobility by 2,000%...
Far less swelling...

A whole lot easier. 



I went to PT yesterday (POD6) for the first time with this surgery. Marty panicked when he saw me and was relieved to hear that it was no damage done, and more of a clean-up procedure. He says he wishes I had more pain. He talked to me for a good 15 minutes about how an easier surgery with minimal pain does not mean that my knee is happy inside. He also reiterated something Dr. Z told me...my knee is not a normal knee. It will take longer to heal internally, no matter how good I feel on the outside. 

Point taken, Marty. I will keep reminding myself of this. 

It’ll be another 2-3 months before I’m back to exercising without restrictions. I’m starting now with quad sets and hip-flexor exercises. B-O-R-I-N-G!



I go tomorrow to see Dr. Z and get my stitches out. Then I can shower normally. Right now I wear a cast cover over my knee to keep the water off of the portal sights. I have all 4 of them covered with bandaids now that I was able to take the bulky dressing off. Little by little it’s going to get back to “normal.”

Interestingly, after my last surgery, Marty and I agreed to talk about my knee in terms of preservation, rather than salvage. I know I wrote about this in an older post. When I saw him yesterday he was back to saying salvage. I kindly corrected him and he corrected me back by reminding me that my knee has been operated on 5 times (he even put his hand up to show me five fingers). He also told me something I already know...having to go back in so soon after the procedures I had does not bode well for a long-term-success prognosis. He also started talking about when I need a knee replacement, rather than the way he talked to me last year and if I needed one.  Maybe he was just in a bad mood. Maybe he’s trying to scare me straight. Who knows. 

That’s all. We are putting my bunny down tomorrow morning which is such a bummer. He has cancer and is no longer comfortable. It’s hard to care much about my knee right now when we are losing a furry family member who has been with us for the last 9 years...




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful