‘Tis the Season

I went to the gym today, for the first time since I mysteriously destroyed my knee by standing up from my desk...that was a little over 5 weeks ago. I didn’t love going to the gym (I would always rather be outside), but the cardio felt good and I enjoyed watching my knee get stronger every week. So this “setback” really set me back mentally with regard to my feelings about the gym. 

What’s the point?
I can’t do anything with my legs, what else is there?

So instead, I’ve done a lot of napping, something I almost NEVER do despite my crazy work hours. And some of you might think, “that’s good, sounds like self-care to me.” And maybe napping is part self-care but it has turned into self-loathing (loathing may be too harsh of a word, but it fits nicely in the sentence so just go with it). I have begun to worry that napping, and the need to nap, is a sign of depression creeping in...

‘Tis the season, right?!


So today I allowed myself to nap AND then I went to the gym. And it felt good and I sweated and I worked my arms and torso. 

Yeah...it felt good. Good enough. 

My knee hurts though. Every day I feel a little less confident with its ability to last through the day. I’m sure some of it is psychosomatic, but the swelling and palpable (and audible!) popping with every step is very real. 

So I’m getting through my weeks at work, getting as much done as I can. Not panicking like I was before. I’ll be able to walk a few days out from surgery. I’m hoping to not be on any narcotics. It should be “a piece of cake.” I am also taking almost 2 full weeks off for this surgery which should be plenty. The last 2 surgeries I rushed back to work because I was new in my role and was nervous about being gone too long (I could punch myself for that in hindsight, but, whatever). So this time I’m making sure I take the time I need. I’m also really looking at the time off as a blessing (a word that I feel is way overused and makes me cringe a little, bit I’m using it anyways) in disguise. 

*I will be home for 7 of the 8 nights of Hanukkah
*I will have time to really get things in order for Charlie’s Bar Mitzvah 
*I will have time to snuggle with my pups
*I will have time away from work that will allow me to miss it
*My time off coincides nicely with Alex’s break at West Chester
*It also coincides nicely with lots of Bar Mitzvah meetings that start happening around then

So I’ll keep looking at it as a glass half full of time where I have less to juggle and more time to sleep. 

I have to mention also, that I am really proud of how well I did this past weekend with it being Philly Marathon weekend. Not just that, but my husband ran in the marathon with a guide. Not just that, but I found him the guide (who is an amazing person) and registered him for the marathon. Not just that, but I got up at 4am on Marathon morning, made them coffee and breakfast and drove them to the start line. Not just that,(I’m almost done, I swear) but I went to the finish and stood around for two hours, screamed when they ran past, then drove them home in a warm car with heated seats. Last one...not just that, but I had a little party after to celebrate their accomplishment!


So the part that I’m proud of though, is that I did all of that with genuine happiness in my heart. I was so excited to see them cross the finish. What an emotional experience, and one that I’ve never had! I’ve always guided him across the finish. Watching him was an incredible experience. When I hugged him in runners village after he finished, I was SO DAMN PROUD of him! I didn’t know how I would feel with all of this. Would I have to fake it? Would I be pretending to be happy for him? Thankfully, no. I was genuinely over the top thrilled. 


I will admit, there was jealousy. Like a little hint of it just below the surface of all the feelings. I acknowledged it. I let myself feel it, but it wasn’t this overwhelming bitter WTF kind of jealousy...I mean, not that I have any idea what that feels like or anything...

So yes, a tiny bit jealous, also a tiny bit glad that he didn’t break my marathon PR. Hey, I’m human! And I’m also the tiniest bit competitive. I’m also just trying to be honest. His guide is a faster runner than I am, and I prepared myself for the fact that he may beat my marathon PR time. But I still have that. 

What a weekend though.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and not judging me too harshly for my honest feelings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful