7 weeks...and feeling like a new person!

Let me introduce myself...
I’m someone who’s walking again, using both legs!

I’m crutchless for short distances (mostly at home and in my office), and using at least one crutch for longer walks (everywhere that’s not home or my tiny office). 
Wow does it feel good to be at this point!  
I literally feel like a new person!

I’ll back up a bit...
The past 6 weeks I kept feeling like it didn’t matter how physically prepared I was before the surgery because I was SO limited by the healing time. It didn’t matter how good or strong I felt during my recovery because I wasn’t cleared to do much of anything really. The carticel implant needed to knit to the bones, the meniscus needed to stay firmly in place without the stress of my body weight. The ACL was better off not being strained. 
So while I was happy to let all of that happen, it felt like a painfully slow process. 


I spent a lot of time this past weekend, and the early part of the week really focusing on my knee. Something in me said that this was a turning point in this whole process, and putting in some extra effort was important. 
Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday...
I went to the gym. 
I did increased time on the stationary bike like Marty (my PT) said I could...no resistance, just keeping my knee moving. 
I did some arm weights. 
I did my stretches and leg lifts, all of them. 
I iced my knee throughout the day. 
I took Motrin and Tylenol to keep the swelling down. 

My laundry piled up, and I got no holiday gifts wrapped, my knee was my focus and it started feeling REALLY good!
post op 7 weeksPost-op 7 weeks!!

So I went to PT this past Wednesday...
* 6 days after Dr. Z told me to start progressing to putting weight on my L leg, 5 days after my PT told me I had lost some extension and I’d likely be on crutches for 3 more weeks*
Marty could tell I was barely using my crutches and told me to put them down and try walking. It was strangely terrifying, but I did it!!! In fact he had me do my whole session without my crutches. 
New exercises on Wednesday:
Shallow squats
Side stepping with resistance band
Calf raises using only my L leg
45lb leg press
Plus my normal stuff

He told me to take Thursday off and aside from work, give my leg a rest. 

Went to PT with Marty today (Friday) and walked in without my crutches. Marty was grinning ear to ear. He’s really excited by my progress and is happy to see me happy. I asked about anything else I can do to keep moving forward. He reminded me that I just made huge progress and I’ll be “living in this place” for several weeks. Keep doing what I’m doing, no more and no less. 

Seeing the eager look on my face, he reminded me that there’s no “fitness” happening here. It’s all getting to a safe place where my knee can handle the everyday stress of life. Fitness will come in a few months. 
Ok. 
Got it. 
*sigh*


I’m reminding myself that this is a lot like training for any of the distance races I did. Just keep going. Follow the plan. Slow and steady wins the race. Be encouraged by progress. Be encouraged by lack of setbacks. Listen to my body and know when to rest. 

I’ve had a few comments (well-meaning and coming from a place of caring) like:
“Take it easy and don’t push yourself”

While I appreciate the thought behind it, I promise you I’m doing everything I’m supposed to, and no more than that. Challenging myself within the rehab guidelines is the best thing for me. I’m listening to the medical experts, asking the right questions, and working as hard as I can to get back to being me. It’s not in my nature to sit back and wait for people tell me to work harder. 

So.
Gym time this weekend to use the stationary bike. 
PT twice next week. 
Walk without crutches for short distances. 
Exercises and stretches at home. 
Whatever you do, don’t fall. 

Got it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelmed, in a good way!

End of the year, part 1

Wistful vs Wishful